November 20, 2009

Learning how to do it

I was sick so was slacking off in terms of updating, but now I'm back to the Internet land and trying once again to figure things out.

So as mentioned previously I want a website, but I want a website done right. I know some HTML and am savvy enough to be able to fiddle with some code in other languages, but not to write things myself. So I want something reltively simple, but with loads of potential to grow and expand things. And naturally I want my own domain name.

Here is what I decided to get: Fatcow
This place has loads of very cool features, is pretty cheap and allows the user to either have a very simple site or a super fancy one. Here is a full list of features they ofer.

What I also like is that they let you upload things via FTP access. So for example you can create a fully functional site on your computer and in one swoosh upload it to Fatcow and have it up and running.

My next concern and reason for another long search was the fact that I might want to have a document management system on my site so for example people could upload documents to me or have a personal account. I know that this is on the fancy side, but I'd like to have the potential to be able to do it if my business idea takes off and I feel the need for it. This means that I needed a Content Management System (CMS). Once again Fatcow is great because it lets the user pick out of several. Drupal sounded good, but all I read about it said that it's quite complicated to learn, which would mean that my site building adventure would really take forever....

So Joomla it is. Joomla is now my next "search adventure". The site construction seems very much module based and so far has not required any coding on my part. There are also loads of free templates available for download and additional Joomla plug-ins to expand the capability of the System.

I have found numerous other Internet services that I believe could be of great use to anyone working on establishing their presence online, but that will be in my next update =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails